Two Minutes
On an errand run to Lexington last
week, I ran into Target for a few things I can’t find in my small town. I found the shortest line and waited my turn
to pay. I listened as the
African-American Target employee handed the woman in front of me a receipt and
said, “God bless you,” with a smile as big as Christmas.
“How you doin’ baby?” she asked me
with an expression that convinced me she cared about my answer.
When I responded and then asked her
the same, she said “I’m doing fine, praise the Lord.”
I can’t even remember exactly how
our brief exchange went from then on, but there was an abundance of “God bless
you” and me being called “baby child.” The whole event lasted under two minutes
but it encouraged me for the rest of the day. It felt like a moment when God
laid a finger on my heart and said, “I love you.”
Two minutes. I’m not sure I thought
it was possible to feel God’s love from a total stranger in the checkout line
of Target.
But I did. And it was an authentic
touch from the God who is Love.
It made me think differently about
those everyday errands I run and those short opportunities I have to connect
with someone I don’t know. Not in my own power to be nice or polite, but through
the supernatural love that only God can give.
Amen. I met a guy who said that we had met by Devine appointment, I liked that. Love your blog.
ReplyDelete