Moon Watcher
I was mesmerized
the first time I saw the moon's face. I had always heard of “the man on the
moon” but thought people were referring to Neil Armstrong. But there it was, outlined by the moonscape
and smiling down at me.
When I was
younger, the moon was mostly a romantic symbol, something sung about in moving
ballads and used for backdrops in movies. I admired it occasionally, when it
swelled up and made itself known on clear nights, but even then it was hard to
appreciate amidst the city lights.
After leaving the
city, I realized the practical benefits of a moonlit night. A person can
actually see in the dark! I imagined how folks long ago likely scheduled events
according to the moon so travelers could have extra light for moving around the
countryside.
When I first called
my veterinarian to schedule goat castrations, she said she would first consult
the almanac and see when the signs were “in.” I didn’t know what she was
talking about until I opened up my own Farmer’s Almanac and realized there are
recommended dates for doing certain things, such as weaning animals, planting
gardens, and setting eggs. Hocus Pocus?
Maybe. But if the moon can control the
ocean tides, why not other things?
My husband is an
avid moon watcher. He loves it when the moon is waxing, building toward the one
night when it is completely full. After all, there are only twelve occasions to
see a full moon in the whole year, and that is if every night is clear. It
really is quite an event. So we go outside and view it, admiring the beautiful
aspects of the full moon, knowing it will be another month before we can see it
in all its finery.
Each
moon has a name, sometimes more than one name, usually given by Native
Americans.
In January, it is the Wolf Moon, but some Sioux
tribes call it the Moon of Frost in the Teepee. February is the Snow Moon and
March is the Worm Moon. The Pink Moon
shines in April and May is the Flower Moon.
Strawberry Moon is fitting for June and the Buck Moon is for July. In
August, we see the Sturgeon Moon and in September it is the Harvest Moon, also called the Corn Moon. The Hunter's Moon is in October, followed by the Beaver Moon in November and the appropriately named
Cold Moon in December.
If I have piqued your interest in moon watching, mark
your calendar for September 12. Turn off
the television and go outside with a mug of hot chocolate. Enjoy a moment only God can provide, because you won’t see another Harvest Moon for a whole year.
No comments:
Post a Comment